TT government still haunted by Section 34
PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, Oct 15, CMC – The Trinidad and Tobago government is distancing itself from allegations that two party financiers had been given prior notice of the decision by the Kamla Persad Bissessar administration to proclaim early certain sections of the controversial Administration of Justice (Indictable Proceedings) Act.
In a statement, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan said he felt compelled to “clear the air” on the issue after an independent legislator questioned how “come some people know to go before the judge and put in an application before the Legal Notice was published?.
Corrine Baptiste-McKnight told a panel discussion at the University of the West Indies (UWI) earlier this month that she had gone to the Gazette Office to obtain a copy of the document and it was dated September 10.
But Ramlogan said Baptiste-McKnight got her facts wrong and that the Legal Notice was actually published on August 30 and was therefore in the public domain.
(Full details in Politics section)